Table of contents
What do you get when you combine camping with unique, off-the-beaten-path, experiential luxury hospitality?
The answer: one of the hottest new trends in travel today and one that is expected to keep growing.
We’re talking about Glamping: where stunning experiences in nature meet modern travel expectations. Glamping is a way to disconnect, discover something new, and, perhaps most importantly to travelers these days, experience something different in way that is inherently socially-distant.
The rise of glamping
This meteoric rise in the niche travel segment can be attributed, in part, to the pandemic. Travelers accustomed to the amenities offered in upscale accommodations still wanted to travel, but they wanted an option that would allow them to avoid close contact with others.
Glamping offers people a way to have their own (often unusual) space; think high-end tent, yurt, cabin, dome, RV, or any other accommodation type the hotelier can imagine. And it’s not just the “rooms” at a glamping site that put a twist on traditional travel. Glamping also often includes resort-like experiences too, including activities, tours, grab-and-go-meals, or even a box of ingredients for on-site meal prep.
From families to couples to even business groups, the glamping market is appealing to travelers and adventure-seekers of all types along with hoteliers of all types too. Everyone from independent operators to hotel chains are finding ways to capitalize on the growing interest.
All of this is exciting for the industry, but the same things that boost the appeal of glamping also introduce a new layer of complexity.
Hotel tech for glamping properties
Glamping may be considered another segment of the travel and hospitality industry, but it comes with a novel set of needs, challenges and opportunities. And scaling to keep up with the demand can be that much more difficult.
Travelers are looking to glamping to get away and enjoy nature, but they still want a full-service experience. At the same time, glamping operators need solutions to offer this feeling with limited staff – and limited overhead.
What does this mean for glamping operators? It means they need to be able to satisfy a few core expectations from guests on top of operational needs. All this requires technology that can enable functionalities like contactless solutions, easy ways to pay, and hassle-free communication along with ways to manage a large piece of land with limited staff and have access to everything you need without needing to be physically in an on-site office.
To help you navigate these new waters and understand how technology can help you scale and succeed, we’ve put together a guide Get Ready for the Growth of Glamping.
What’s in the guide?
We’ve narrowed it down to five primary opportunities and solutions to truly create remarkable experiences for guests and keep your operations ready to respond to the new breed of glampers.
- Flexibility and freedom: Let the uniqueness of your property shine through with technology that lets you do you and guests disconnect and enjoy.
- Contactless solutions: Consider contactless solutions like social distancing and the freedom of self-service coming together to create a sense of oneness with nature and stress-free holidays.
- Environmental consciousness: Glamping empowers a connection with nature – shouldn't you do all you can to protect it?
- Optimized ecosystem: Grow, expand, evolve. Anything is possible when you have technology that adapts to the needs of your business.
- Streamlined communications: How do you talk to guests when you’re spread out over acres of land? With the right technology, of course.
- Remarkable guest experiences: This is what hospitality is all about – and it’s why we believe the best hospitality technology puts the guest first.
The glamping crowds are coming. Make sure you’re ready to scale your business to keep up.
Liz is Mews' Senior Product Marketing Content Manager and she has a real passion for grammar. Seriously, don't get her started on m dashes and n dashes...
Hospitality hot takes straight to your inbox
Sign up to our monthly newsletter for industry insights, product news, partner updates and more.
Mews Data Dive 2023